2 Sinclair Terrace, Short Hills NJ
The Fifth Season @ Short Hills
Tucked deep in the prestigious Fairfield section of Short Hills and situated just steps from Old Short Hills Park and the South Mountain Reservation, the location creates a pastoral experience although just minutes from downtown Millburn, The Mall At Short Hills and the Midtown Direct train to Hoboken and NYC.
This unique property, completed in 2015, offers the sophisticated urban feel of a stunning NYC penthouse with a modern suburban sensibility. Designed by Manhattan architect Rachael Gray of Gray Partnership in collaboration with interior designer Kimberly Hall of Kimberly Hall Creative, this 12,000 square foot, six bedroom, seven full and three half bath residence embodies the perfect synthesis of flow, functionality and high design that will delight even the most discerning buyer.
Only the highest quality materials have been used throughout. Outside, hand cut stone, custom Marvin sapele mahogany windows, sapele mahogany trim and a DaVinci engineered slate roof overlook the lush 1+ acre private property spanning two tiers: a sprawling lawn and a resort-like 60’ Pugliese saltwater pool with climate-controlled pool house and full bath.
Inside, the impeccable finishes and elevated design are second to none, from the sweeping staircase flanked by a custom designed iron railing to the primary suite closet that rivals even the most upscale boutique to the spectacular lower level wine cellar and tasting room. Truly a gracious home with timeless appeal at every turn -- making even the most ordinary of days feel extraordinary.
Technology abounds throughout this upscale residence including a sophisticated Lutron lighting system, Sonos 6-zone sound system and Cummins generator to provide peace of mind during stormy weather. And for the environmentally conscious buyer, the home is exceptionally energy efficient featuring spray foam insulation, 5 high efficiency A/C zones with fresh air exchangers and 11 zones of radiantly heated floors throughout every level.
All of the furnishings, fabrics and wall coverings throughout the home elevate the space to a level that even the architect, interior designer and homeowners didn’t know was possible. And that may be the best news of all -- the home is available fully or partially furnished so you can immediately live the dream! Soon, vacationing away from home will be a distant memory.
Additional information can be found below.
The homeowners of 2 Sinclair Terrace knew that they were about to embark on a very special journey when they hired truly amazing talent to make their dreams come true. Together they created a home that exceeded even their highest expectations. Meet the homeowners, the architect Rachael Gray of Gray Partnership and the designer Kimberly Hall of Kimberly Hall Creative in this short video that speaks to the bespoke architectural and design elements throughout the home. And don't miss the reenactment of the Sex And The City closet scene at the end!
Nestled on over an acre of land, the strategic placement of the home has resulted in a property that feels significantly larger than just over an acre. To ensure that the exterior finishes were of the same exceptional quality awaiting inside, only the finest and most durable materials were used including hand cut stone, custom Marvin sapele mahogany windows with retractable screens, sapele mahogany trim and a DaVinci engineered slate roof. A separate circular drive brings you directly to the front door, a dramatic entryway featuring massive mahogany columns and a mahogany portico.
The interior of the home boasts numerous custom features that are essentially irreplaceable in today’s environment. The interior wood flooring is specially engineered quartersawn oak with a multi-stage custom stain process and there is specialty custom millwork throughout the entire home. And soaring ceilings on all three levels provide an open and airy feel throughout. The home is timeless, not trendy, with eclectic design elements that elevate the home to the feeling of a NYC Penthouse or Four Seasons hotel in the middle of a suburban neighborhood.
The Entry Gallery is flanked on each side by custom double doors upholstered in suede with matching modern pulls. A striking nine-foot circular mirror with deep six inch “wenge-style” wood frame and two inset sconces is the centerpiece of the 42’ room. A glamorous powder room, a deep walk-in coat closet and the main staircases are also accessed from this breathtaking room.
One of several very special design elements in the home, the grand sweeping staircases were built in situ with custom-designed iron railings capped with wood that coordinates with the hardwood flooring. The railings mimic paper clips and both staircases are flanked with wall sconces and finished with custom-designed Loloey Italia hotel-grade carpet. The staircase to the second floor is also flanked by ascending Marvin windows and a striking Ochre modern chandelier that drops from second-floor ceiling to serve as a centerpiece for the staircase.
Boasting one of three real wood-burning fireplaces with gas inserts and a custom stone surround and mantle sourced from New York Stone, the living room is a welcoming retreat. Bowed windows overlook the expansive rear lawns while french doors lead to a separate patio shared with the library. The patio features bluestone flooring and a redwood pergola that has aged to a gorgeous patina finish.
The banquet-sized dining room with its extensive millwork, dramatic modern chandelier and interesting mirrored wall sconces sets the tone for both small intimate gatherings with friends to formal dinner parties for 20. Beautifully curated complementary wallpapers above and below the modern chair rail give the room an inviting feel and four sets of windows on two walls provide lots of natural light.
The spacious open kitchen features extensive Downsview cabinetry with Parma Italia pulls and a stunning custom range hood above the Wolf rangetop with 6 high-power gas burners and a handy griddle. A large nearby walk-in pantry with natural light makes access to cooking essentials easy and effortless as does access to the expansive rear patio off the nearby couloir.
Other top-of-the-line appliances in the kitchen include two Sub-Zero refrigerators and four Sub-Zero freezer drawers, two Miele convection ovens, a Miele microwave oven and a built-in Miele coffee maker. A separate wet bar features a Sub-Zero wine refrigerator and an additional Franke sink with Hansgrohe faucet. A large, enclosed walk-in pantry provides ample storage for the most discerning gourmet cook.
The expansive center island features integrated shelving on both sides, two inset Miele dishwashers, a Caesarstone countertop and Franke stainless steel sink with InSinkErator disposal, a detachable Hansgrohe faucet and an instant hot water dispenser. Stunning custom-made drop lights accent the center island.
The breakfast room is the hub of the home and a very special place to be. Offering sight lines to the couloir, kitchen, family room, foyer, and staircase, a curved window seat, built with matching Downsview millwork, that easily accommodates a large kitchen table.
The open kitchen leads to a family room with a dramatic full mahogany wall with three sets of Marvin mahogany french doors opening to the expansive bluestone patio. The real wood-burning fireplace with gas insert and a modern stone surround and mantle sourced at New York Stone is truly stunning and features a recessed television above.
Featuring a soaring 20-foot vaulted ceiling clad in “wenge-style” cerused oak with matching “wenge-style” cerused oak cabinetry and bookshelves with built-in window seat, the library will make your office commute a distant memory. The real wood-burning fireplace with gas insert and 11-foot book-matched stone facade sourced from New York Stone is dramatic as is the modern brass and bronze chandelier that hangs from 20 feet above. A custom grey glass markerboard is inset into the bookshelves while french doors open to the private patio that is shared with the living room.
The stunning formal Powder Room features a custom vanity with stone countertop, Newport Brass matte gold faucet, custom mirror, Marjorie Skouras agate stone wall sconces, Lillian August chandelier, shimmering gold penny floor tile by Ann Sacks and a striking wallpaper by Osborne and Little.
The second floor is home to one of two laundry centers and four ensuite bedrooms, all with french doors to bluestone-clad terraces. Also on this level are a delightful sitting area overlooking the winding staircase and an impressive sitting room that can also easily serve as a second home office. This room has special mid-century sconces that perfectly complement the flavor of the space. The sitting room leads to the grand primary suite that encompasses the entire left wing of the home.
The spacious and tranquil primary suite bedroom area features soaring 14-foot coffered ceilings, french doors leading to a bluestone clad widows walk and windows flanking either side of the bed. A spacious sitting area is perfect for unwinding at night. A pocket door opens to a striking hallway that leads to the primary bath, a large linen closet and a spectacular primary dressing room. The hallway itself is magnificently designed with a vintage Cahmer glass chandelier, Vaughan sculptural sconces, striking wallpaper and a vintage mid-century mirror.
Your very own spa-like environment in which to relax. The massive slab floor, shower floor and bench were all sourced from New York Stone and the steam shower features a bench and a wall of glass that welcomes an abundance of natural light. The 71” freestanding soaking tub as well as the dual vanity area with jeweled cabinet door pulls, soaring mirrors and vintage Cahmer glass sconces are both extraordinarily luxurious. Polished nickel hardware, a striking starburst chandelier, new Elitis wallpaper, a modern mirrored wall and private water closet with whimsical chandelier all exude a peaceful Zen-like feel.
At over 700 square feet, the primary dressing room is perhaps THE piece de resistance in this extraordinary residence. Modeled after closets in NYC penthouses and Beverly Hills, the space evokes the feeling of an upscale boutique. Clothes are neatly hidden behind enclosed custom cabinetry, with taller cabinets featuring inset full-length mirrored doors and lower cabinets faced with a stunning leather-like covering. Purses, shoes and other leather finery are beautifully displayed in glass-fronted cabinets. Backlighting enhances wardrobe items and additional full-length mirrors finish the sides of each set of cabinets. Two floating islands with beautiful fabrics integrated into the millwork glam up the space.
The other three bedrooms on this level are spacious, featuring walk-in closets, ensuite baths and french doors to bluestone-clad balconies overlooking the lush rear property.
Five of the six ensuite baths in the home feature a striking tile feature wall. The sixth bedroom (nanny or guest room) features a crisp clean white ensuite bath. Designed for privacy, all residents are afforded the feeling of a luxurious spa each and every day.
Throughout the home there are areas in the circulation spaces that were created to offer a moment for stopping and having a place to sit and be. And the lower level is no different, featuring these spaces beneath the grand staircase and in the wine tasting room. This level is home to two ensuite bedrooms, a gym, activity room, recreation/media room, wine tasting room, wine cellar, second laundry center, powder room and utility/storage rooms. This entire space is finished to the same standard as the rest of the house with 9-foot ceilings and the same oak flooring and custom millwork.
At approximately 620 square feet, this gym evokes the feeling of an outdoor space, with its nature mural and custom yellow rubber gym floor all blending in harmony to promote an energizing and motivating environment. Two large closets and two rows of cabinets under countertop provide plenty of storage while a large full-length mirror allows you to monitor your form. The gym features a Sonos sound system and television to motivate you even further.
The Activity Room offers a fun space for play. A wall full of cabinets is clad in a white gloss dry-erase surface and can be used for schoolwork, business planning, art projects or whimsical messages. Across the entire opposite wall is a desk-height countertop also clad in the same material.
Make it your own! This large space is pre-wired for a projection or large screen television. It is also a perfect recreation room or whatever you envision it to be!
Featuring bluestone flooring, complementary sconces, an iron railing on the stairs leading up to the couloir/kitchen and the perfect color palate, this inviting room is equally ideal for either casual entertaining or a formal Thanksgiving meal. Truly a very special space and a delightful surprise in a home that already astonishes its occupants and guests at every turn. Ascend the second set of bluestone-clad stairs up to the couloir to complete your trip around the home.
The glassed refrigerated wine cellar features an impressive 620 bottle capacity and custom wine racking from California built from recycled wine barrels.
Step into the 50’ couloir (French for passageway or “awesome mudroom”) and prepare to be impressed. It is a practical space with its hand-cut bluestone heated floors and commercial-style “kickoff” rug at the entry from the garage. But at the same time glamorous, with glass walls and several sets of windows overlooking the neighborhood and rear bluestone patio, offering a light and airy feeling that is exceptionally luxurious. Beautiful wide built-in window seats and expansive closets with inset full-length mirrors on their doors make it easy to come and go. The kitchen, an additional powder room and a second staircase to the lower level are also accessed from this room.
When returning home, pull into your grade level, oversized three-car radiantly heated garage, with a stained, polished concrete floor that looks like fine marble. The garage has custom-made modern cabinetry that would feel at home at a Ferrari dealership. The garage is also pre-wired with a dedicated line for an electric car charger and features Marvin french doors to the backyard.
While the front of the home has a more formal feel, the back was specifically designed to break down the massive structure into a more intimate sequence of spaces. Mature plantings ensure privacy throughout the entire rear property which boasts two large private areas that are entirely flat, one area a sprawling lawn off the rear patio on which to gaze and play while the other consists of a lower-level pool hideaway. A separate driveway to the three-car garage is artfully lined with dry-laid stone walls and boasts a generously large footprint that is perfectly contoured for the future installation of a home basketball hoop.
Accessed from the couloir or family room, the rear bluestone patio feels like an extension of the home and is expansive and welcoming. A separate bluestone patio off the library and living room with redwood pergola feels private and Zen-like while special meandering bluestone paths link the garage driveway and both patios to the lower-level pool hideaway.
The new outdoor kitchen brings the inside out. Featuring a delightful pizza oven, Lynx natural gas grill, refrigerator and sink surrounded by a gorgeous and durable stone counter on the top and hand cut veneer stone on the sides. Lighting on the outdoor kitchen affords use both day and night and even the most discerning of chef’s will feel right at home.
Step down at the back of the lawn to an incomparable lower-level hideaway, consisting of a 60-foot free form Pugliese saltwater pool with spa, waterfall and “love cove” surrounded by Tennessee Orchard stone decking that is comfortable under the feet in even the hottest of summer weather. This level also features a second Lynx natural gas grill.
The heated and air-conditioned pool house has a full bath, changing room and wet bar with refrigerator. Nestled by the pool house is a unique tiled outdoor shower flanked by specimen plantings. The lower-level pool area has Wi-Fi service and separate Sonos audio and Lutron lighting zones.
- First Level: 9.5' ceilings
- Second Level: 9' ceilings
- Lower Level: 9' ceilings
- The basement is fully finished to same standard as the other levels
- Six bedrooms - all ensuite
- Five of the ensuite bathrooms feature a striking tile feature wall, while the sixth bedroom (guest suite) features a crisp white ensuite bathroom
- Three half baths
- True quartersawn engineered white oak floors with multi-stage custom stain process
- Deep custom millwork and moldings throughout
- Three real wood-burning fireplaces with gas inserts: family room, living room and library, each with custom stone sourced from New York Stone
- Master bath floor slab flooring and shower bench sourced from New York Stone
- Unique sweeping staircases to all levels, custom-built on-site with specially designed wood capped iron railings
- Staircases finished with custom-designed Loloey Italia hotel grade carpet
- Custom Marvin sapele mahogany windows with retractable screens
- Electrical outlets integrated into base moldings in many common rooms and primary bedroom
- Offers convenient access to all rooms on the first level
- Gallery flanked on each side by custom double doors upholstered in suede with matching modern pulls
- Striking nine-foot circular mirror with deep six-inch "wenge-style" wood frame with two inset sconces
- Nearby formal powder room
- Walk-in coat closet
- Access to two grand separate in situ staircases -- a true focal point in the home
- Two massive custom winding staircases built on-site from entry gallery to second floor and from entry gallery to basement
- Staircase to second floor flanked by towering Marvin windows which ascend with the stairs
- Both staircases have custom designed metal railings designed to look like paperclips capped in wood that was stained to match the hardwood flooring
- Striking Ochre modern chandelier drops from second floor ceiling and serves as centerpiece for staircase
- Wall sconces flank both staircases
- Custom designed Loloey Italia hotel grade carpet on both staircases
- Real wood-burning fireplace with gas insert and modern stone facade and mantle
- French doors to separate patio with redwood pergola that is shared with the library
- Bowed windows overlooking lush rear yard
Formal Dining Room
- Stunning modern chandelier
- Beautifully curated complementary wallpapers above and below modern chair rail
- Mirrored "modern antiqued" sconces
- Four large sets of windows that flood the space with beautiful natural light
- Open kitchen with Downsview Cabinetry
- Cabinets finished with Parma Italia stainless steel pulls
- Custom Downsview ceiling trim to match cabinetry
- Curved window seat for kitchen table built with matching Downsview millwork built into bowed window area
- Undercabinet lighting
- Dramatic Downsview custom range hood
- Dual Sub-Zero refrigerators and four Sub-Zero freezer drawers
- Wolf gas rangetop with 6 high power burners and griddle
- Dual Miele convection oven
- Built-in Miele coffee maker
- Built-in Miele microwave
- 9'3" center island with Caesarstone countertop and integrated shelving on both sides:
| Downsview matching facia and trim
| Franke stainless steel sink
| Instant hot water
| Hansgrohe faucet
| InSinkErator Pro-Disposer
| Two inset Miele dishwashers
- Separate wet bar
| Sub-Zero wine refrigerator
| Franke sink
| Hansgrohe faucet
- Large walk-in pantry with built-in shelving
- Full mahogany wall with three sets of Marvin mahogany french doors which open to bluestone patio
- Real wood-burning fireplace with gas insert and beautiful modern stone facade and mantel
- Recessed TV above stone-clad fireplace
- 20 Foot vaulted ceiling clad in "wenge-style" cerused oak
- Matching "wenge-style" cerused oak cabinetry and bookshelves with built-in window seat
- Custom-matched grey glass markerboard inset with bookshelves
- Real wood-burning fireplace with gas insert with 11-foot book-matched modern stone facade sourced from New York Stone
- TV inset into fireplace stone facade
- Dramatic modern brass and bronze chandelier
- French doors to private library patio that is also conveniently access from the living room
- Hardwired ethernet port
- Two commercial quality in-floor power outlets, one in the desk area and one in the conference table area
Three car garage
- Stained polished concrete floor
- Custom made cabinetry
- Separate radiant floor heating zone
- Prewired for electric car charger
- Marvin french doors which open to backyard
- Direct access to Couloir
Couloir (French for passageway or "awesome mudroom")
- Hand-cut bluestone floor
- Commercial style inset "kickoff" rug at entry from garage
- Extensive closets with full length inset mirrors on doors
- Built-in window seats
- Additional half bath
- Second staircase with modern glass railing to lower level
- There are four bedrooms on the second level, all ensuite, including the grand primary suite
- Staircase landing has a beautiful sitting area overlooking the winding staircases, with easy access to the second-floor laundry room
- Staircase landing and sitting area lead to an impressive sitting room, which can serve as a second office
Primary Bedroom Suite
- Generous primary bedroom area with 14-foot coffered ceilings
- Bedroom area has Marvin mahogany french doors overlooking bluestone clad widows walk
- Bedroom area leads to hall to primary bath, large linen closet and incomparable primary dressing room
- Bedroom area privacy assured by pocket doors at start of hall
- Hall itself is magnificently designed with vintage Cahmer glass chandelier, Vaughan sculptural sconces, beautiful background wallpaper and a vintage mid-century mirror
- Hunter Douglas Silhouette custom window shades with PowerView motorization
- Massive stone slab flooring sourced from New York Stone
- Large shower with bench and steam unit, slab floor and bench with matching stone slab
- 71" Freestanding soaking tub
- Dual sink vanity with matching stone countertop and jeweled cabinet door pulls
- Vintage Cahmer glass sconces above vanity
- Striking starburst chandelier in bath area
- All custom polished nickel bathroom hardware
- Stunning Elitis wallpaper
- Three modern mirrored wall pedestals contribute to the Zen feeling
- Water closet with whimsical chandelier
- Over 700 square feet
- Tall, custom-made cabinetry
- Full length mirrored doors
- Many glass-fronted cabinets for displaying clothing
- Built-in backlighting
- Dual floating islands with inset fabric frontage provide additional drawer space
- Two en-suite bedrooms with ample closet space and designer baths
- Directly opposite the staircase landing
- Approximately 620 square feet
- Natural mural with coordinating yellow rubber flooring
- Two large closets and two rows of cabinetry under countertops
- Large, full-length mirror
- TV across from aerobics equipment
- Separate Sonos zone
- Strategically placed near gym and designed to the same standard as all other baths throughout the home
- Full wall of cabinets clad in white gloss dry-erase surface
- Full wall desk-height countertop in white gloss dry-erase surface
Laundry Room #2
- Ample storage below countertop and utility sink
- MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
- Pre-wired for projection or large screen TV
Wine Tasting Room / Wine Cellar
- Bluestone floor
- Complementary sconces
- Iron railing on stairs leading back up to couloir
- Glass-enclosed refrigerated wine storage room with 620 bottle capacity
- Wine storage racks built from recycled wine barrels
- Real full-thickness hand cut veneer stone with upper level of hand-troweled stucco over metal mesh
- Stunning DaVinci engineered slate roof
- All copper leaders and gutters, including custom-made copper sleeves to extend leaders to grade level
- All exterior doors, garage doors, windows, fascias and soffits are sapele mahogany
- Full spray foam insultation from attic to basement
- Lutron lighting system for convenience
- Six zone integrated Sonos system with built-in speakers, including separate zones for patio and pool levels
- ERV Honeywell fresh air system
- Built-in central vacuum with two retractable hoses on each level
- Dual redundant boilers for 11 zone radiant heat system with electric heat backup
- Virtually unlimited domestic hot water generated through radiant boilers
- Five zone central air with 5" filtration filters
- Two-stage water treatment system: filtration and UV light sanitation
- Sonos, Lutron, security cameras on the exterior integrated into A/V system
- Separate circular drive to bring you directly to the dramatic front entry of the home featuring massive mahogany columns and portico
- Separate driveway to the three-car garage artfully lined with dry laid stone walls and a generously large footprint that is perfectly contoured for the installation of a future home basketball hoop
- The backyard has a large bluestone patio off the main are of the home, a separate, private bluestone patio off the library and meandering bluestone paths that line the garage driveway and both patios to the lower-level pool hideaway
- Multi-zone inground irrigation system with automatic rain sensor
- 60-foot Pugliese saltwater free form pool with spa and waterfall
- "Love cove", perimeter bench and stairs all clad in Tennessee orchard stone
- Jandy integrated pool remote control system located in kitchen pantry
- Unique outdoor shower nestled against pool house
- Temperature controlled in both summer and winter
- Dramatic tile wall
- Wet bar with refrigerator and quartz countertop
- Full bath
- Changing room
- Lounging area
- All draperies, lighting fixtures and media equipment (TV's and Sonos) will convey with the home.
The information above is deemed to be accurate but is not guaranteed and is subject to change.